BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Unit 41: Radio drama



Understanding Codes and Conventions of Radio Drama Genres



Task 1: War of the Worlds

War of the worlds was a radio drama produced by HG Wells and adapted for the radio by Orson wells. The plot summary is about aliens invading the earth. Due to the audience being unaware of radio dramas and not being accustomed to dramas like war of the worlds, the audience reacted in a very unusual way and thought war of the worlds was real. Due to listeners missing or ignoring the opening credits, viewers did not realise that this was a drama but mistook it for an actual broadcast. The radio drama used infamous people who weren’t well known provided the dialogue, so obviously they didn’t realise they were actors. War of the Worlds used Codes and conventions that that hadn’t been used before. Therefore people who listened to news flashes used them as a reliable source of information. It was estimated that six million heard the broadcast and 1.7 million believed it to be true, with 1.2 million becoming extremely scared. It was from their panic begun. Word of mouth began to spread, rumours began to fly around and it all escalated in a large outbreak. The media hadn’t helped with the situation, and newspapers exaggerated the events causing further turmoil. Radio had become a powerful media by this time, and became influential (Another reason people believed war of the worlds to be real). Newspapers did fear that radio would kill the press and make their influence and power useless. [i]

[i] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio



Radio drama analysis.

Radio drama 1: Yes minister. Series one, Episode one. Open Government

In the opening scene, we are first introduced to the narrator. He cleverly opens the drama by setting the first scene. His voice is low pitch with a gravely texture. This immediately establishes characters importance by giving him a very authorotive voice. We are then introduced to the returning officer. His voice has been edited to make it louder with a slight echo. This connotes that he is speaking through a megaphone. We hear crowd cheers and various people clapping. This signifies that he is speaking to a large audience. We then cut back to the narrator who sets up the next scene, like he did before. We are now introduced to two new characters that are in a studio. The echo and crowd cheers disappear, taking away the outdoor ambience and replacing it with an indoor one. This further anchors that they are indoors, making the audience believe it. Various sound effects, such a phone ringing, creaking door etc are used at various times. This helps anchor that this is happening and again makes it sound realistic. Sound effects have also been used on the voices whilst these characters ore on the phone. Again this is an example of how the meanings are anchored. From listening to the first ten minutes of the radio drama, we are immediately introduced to various characters, and familiarised with the plot. Whilst all the characters speak Standard English, each character varies in tone and pitch, setting them apart. The Standard English accent they all have signifies their upper class background whilst further connoting their jobs in the government. It may also help the drama appeal to a wider audience by making the accent national rather than regional. The radio dramas genre (Sitcom) is further anchored by the studio laughter.

Radio drama 2. I'm sorry I'll read that again. Series 4, Episode 2.

The pitches of the voices were all very varied, they all juxtaposed from each other. Making each voice very distinguished. One of the voices had a high pitch in a very nasal tone, which help set the characters personality. John cleese had a low pitch and British accent similar to the queens. All the voices where overexagerated. The drum rolls and jingles help build up the humour and make the scenes break apart when needed. Toderovs narrative pattern of equilibrium, disruption and resolution was present at certain times during certain sketches. To anchor the locations, the voices had a slight echo to them. This anchored that they where in a large studio. The audience laughter and applauses signified that they where in front of a large live audience. The laughter also helped make it appeal to its comedic genre.

Task 2:Produce 3x20 second clips.


Producing proposals & Treatments for radio drama


Task 3: Mind map of ideas.




Task 4: Proposals

My drama is a modern retelling of snow white, for target audience of 16+. There will be a villain a hero and a damsel. I want the characters to all vary from each other, allowing the audience to tell them apart. The narrative of this piece will follow the original fairytale only with a twist on the end.

This radio drama shows two superheroes Batman and Superman and their personal lives and problems. The target audience for this is 13+. The hero in this is superman with batman being the villain. The damsel will change throughout, depending on how the story will develop. There will be lots of sounds FX throughout. Different people will play the different characters to stop the characters from sounding similar. I decided that only a few of the characters will be characterized. This is a single narrative drama.


Task 5: 2 Treatments based on you're proposals using as much relevant media language as possible.


Treatment 1: snow White.

My Radio Drama is a modern twist on Snow White. She will be seen as an heiress party girl who lives off her father’s money. The Characters in this are: Snow White, who is the lead character in all of this. Carmel the queen and Snow white’s Step Mother who wants to kill her to save her money after being advised to do so by her magic mirror. Snow Whites dad, Billy Bob the father and Snow White and husband to Carmel who is mislead by Carmel and banishes Snow White. Then finally we have the 7 dwarfs who are famous footballers who let snow white live with them. Other characters include the Hit man who tried to kill Snow White but couldn’t due them both being best friends and the prince who leaves snow white.

The voices in this will be very exaggerated, to juxtapose against each other. Snow White will have a very sweet girly voice with an over exaggerated American accent. The father will have a hillbilly accent whilst the mother will have a very mellow rather low-pitched voice. With a British/ American accent to contrast with the rest of the family and set her apart from the rest of the characters. The seven dwarfs will all have distinctive voices. They will vary in pitch and tone. There will only be three dwarfs out of the seven, which are, Grumpy Dopey and Bashful. Dopey will only mumble whilst Grumpy has a very low pitch voice, which is very gravely and angry sounding to connote his unpleasantness. Bashful will have a very high-pitched voice, to juxtapose against grumpy, and he will stutter before he talks to anchor his shy personality. This story will be a single narrative drama, and it will appeal to a target audience of 16+ by making my characters relate to the audience.


Treatment 2: Adventures of Superman and Batman.

My radio drama is a twist on superheroes. The two superheroes that will be featured are Superman and Batman. Other characters that will be included are: Louis Lane, (A character from superman) Rachel (A character from Batman) Clark Kent’s boss, an elderly woman and the shopkeeper. My story goes that both superheroes will clash with each other. This will show them as ordinary people rather than superheroes.

Although these characters are American, I have decided to change their accents to Yorkshire, to help appeal to the British target audience. The voices in my radio drama are all very different from each other, to help the audience tell them apart. I gave the shopkeeper an Asian accent to help keep the typical conventions of a shopkeeper; Whilst Clarke Kent’s’ boss has a very serious monotone voice.

The target audience for this is for about 13+ due to the humour and plot. It will be a single narrative piece, with witty dialogue.


Writing Radio Drama Scripts in Specific Genres.

Task 6: You should produce 2 scripts, one for each of the treatments from the previous task.

Script For my Radio DramaNarrator: It’s 10.30 AM at The Daily planet and it’ s bustling with people, in the middle of New York City. Clark Kent is sat in his office writing up his latest article. Looking up, he notices that his boss who seems to be rather panicked is approaching him.


Boss: [panicked] Kent! Good God, this day has gone terribly wrong.



Clark: [Sounding worried] What is it? Are you okay?



Boss: Yes, Yes, I’m fine. It’s just… It’s Lois Lanes birthday and I forgot to get her a present, and because of this stupid meeting I can’t get away.



Clark: [sounding relieved] That’s all? I thought it was something related to this place.



Boss: This is serious! I promised her a birthday present, what kind of boss am I if I can’t even remember the needs of my staff?



Clark: I’m sure she doesn’t need a present.



Boss: Yes. She does, and if you value your job then I expect you to help me.



Clark: Alright, Alright, What do you want me to get her?



Boss: Well, Ugh, what do these young women like? How… about. [Thoughtful noises] What about some… [more uming and ahing]] … No… Uh, what’s that film? Um, Yes. That’ll do, go out and buy her the Hottie and Nottie DVD.



Clark: The what DVD?



Boss: I don’t know, the wife enjoys it though.



Clark: I see, well, Alice does take Lois to the cinema, they seem to have similar film tastes. Alright. I’ll get it.



Boss: Thank you Clarke. I appreciate it, after all Lois is practically family.



Clark: It’s fine Mr White, it’s fine.



Boss: Oh. Well, you might need to hurry up, the BGCA video store closes in around ten minutes and, traffic is hell today. [footsteps away]



Clark: [mumbling to himself] Oh fantastic.



[cut to outside bustle, footsteps running down the street]



Clark: [sounding out of breathe, whilst running down the street] This is impossible! Hm, I wonder… [footsteps, echo (alley), bustle gets quieter]

(SWHOOOOSH)



Random Women: Look! It’s superman!



(Super man theme tune plays while superman flies in the sky [whooshing sounds])



(Superman lands in front of the shop. Swhooooooosh!)



(Door opens, and the bell rings as superman steps in)



Superman: [relieved] Oh! Thank god you’re still open.



Shop Owner: That’s ok, we close in 3 minutes.

Superman: Well, I’m looking for hottie and Nottie on DVD, do you have it?



Shop Owner: I’m afraid I don’t have the DVD anymore.

Superman: What This is a video store! You can’t not have the DVD.



Shop Owner: I’m very sorry Superman… I… uh… well, you see, this is going to be a Starbucks now, with the credit crunch and all, I couldn’t keep the place open, so… well… I had to sell. If you had been here a few minutes ago, I’d have had the DVD… but… well… I gave the whole of my stock to Batman, to get rid of everything.



Superman: [enraged] BATMAN? What? But… I need this DVD. The fate of the world depends on it. Surely you kept something.



Shop Owner: No… Nothing, I’m sorry. [clock dings on the hour] And now every place in town is closed… I’m so sorry.



Superman: I can’t.. damn that Batman! I’ve got to get back to wor- saving people. Typical Batman, just waltz into a store and take every last thing.



Shop Owner: I… [mumbling apologies] Oh! Batman!

Batman: I was just coming back to see- Oh. Superman. –anyway, I was coming back to see if you still wanted me to go see your son.



Shop Owner: Um, Well, Uh, I-

Superman: [enraged]: YOU! You have my Hottie and Nottie DVD, I want it, right now!



Batman: [sarcasm] Aww, does iddy-widdy supey-man wanna watch his cutesy wickle film? Batman sowwy.



Superman: AARGH. I’m going to destroy you Batman,



Batman: Now, now, behave or you’ll go to bed without cwookies and miwk.



[Superman lunges for Batman, scuffle ensues]



Shop Owner: [sounding fed up] OH god!



Batman: Anyway, you can’t [wapow sound] ARGH . You can’t have it. It’s for my girlfriend.



Superman: You can’t have a girlfriend. You’re a loser.



[more fighting noises]



Shop Owner: [screaming] Stop! STOP!



Batman & Superman: WHAT?



Shop Owner: There’s a lady coming in, please, have some manners.



[door opens fight goes to silence, heavy breaths (exhausted)]



Lois: Cl-Superman, Batman, what on Earth is going on here?



Superman: Nothing L-Ma’am, I assure you. We were simply settling an argument.



Lois: An argument? Two of the greatest Superheroes argue?



Batman: Not in so many words.



[door goes again]



Rachel: Br-Batman! Superman! What’s going on?



Lois: Exactly what I just asked



Shop Owner: [sobbing and mumbling to himself] My shop… my poor beautiful shop.



Batman: Excuse me but why are you ladies here?



Superman: Yes. Why are you here? This place is closed.



Lois: Well I was told by my boss I’d find my birthday present here.



Rachel: And I was coming to find my boyfriend to tell him I didn’t like the Hottie or Nottie DVD, and I wanted to return it. [pulls something out of her bag]



Superman: Aha! I really wanted that DVD!



Lois: [somewhat sceptical] You wanted a Hottie or Nottie DVD Superman?



Batman: [sniggers] What a wonderful taste in films you have.



Superman: [grumbling] What a terrible taste in men your girlfriend has,



Rachel: & Lois: [laughs]



Rachel: You can have it Superman, I better get home, hope the boyfriend comes round soon, you know?



Batman: [mumbles]



Lois: And I better get back to work, nice meeting you all.



Superman: Well. This was the most terrible shopping trip I’ve ever been on. Batman. This isn’t over. But, I have things to do.



Batman: Next time Superman, Next time you won’t be so lucky.



[door opens]



[Superman flies back of into the sky, Flying effects]

Superman: [Tired and relived] Right I’m finally backed with a minute to spare, now time to be Clark Kent. [Swoosh! ]



Clark: [Door swings open] I’m back!



Boss: You took your time, did you see Lois down at the store? I sent her down after you, she came in early.



Clark: Oh, no, I must have just missed her. Here’s the DVD you wanted.



Boss: Well. Thank you. Next time hurry up.



Clark: Of course Mr White.



Boss: Oh, here she is, Lois! Happy Birthday.



Lois: Thank you, aw, you got me this DVD? That’s so sweet.



Boss: You’re welcome.



Lois: So Clark, what did you get me?



[long silence]



Clark: I… Uh… Um, well. Damn It. [footsteps running away] [distant swooshing sound]



Boss: He never forgot to get you a present did he?



Lois: That’s Clark for you. Head in the clouds.


Script 2: Snow White

Snow White Script.

[Opening scene: Hear footsteps and then eventually the sound of a door opening. More footsteps are heard until they come to an immediate stop.]

Wicked queen: Mirror Mirror on the wall. Who’s the wealthiest of them all?

Mirror: Wealthy you may be, but Snow White is way wealthier than Dee.

Wicked Witch: (Angrily) What! How can this be? I’m inline to inherit 3.5 billion once my idiotic husband dies. Who do I have to kill to be top dog around here?

Mirror: Well actually, you’re not going to inherit anything. It’s all off to Snow White.

Wicked Witch: (Annoyed, Screams) I’ve already accepted she’s more beautiful than me. No way she’s going to be richer than me. She must be dealt with. .

[Dial up] [Ring tone]

Woodcutter: Hey Hey Hey,

Wicked Witch: Snow White must die. She’s of to go meet Cinderella at the park. When she alone, kill her and bring her heart to me as proof that she’s died.

Woodcutter: I’m actually a woodcutter now; I’m out of this whole assassin business. Besides Snow Whites my best friend. I’d never hurt her, not for all the money in the world.

Wicked Witch: Kill Snow White and I’ll give you $2000

Woodcutter: Sounds good. What time is she off to the park?

Next Scene: [Birds Chirping outside, Snow White is sat wandering through the woods waiting for Cinderella]

Snow White: (On the phone) Cinderella! Where are you? I hate waiting.

Cinderella: (on the phone) Yea I’, running a bit late, I had to walk, and my feet are killing me. Glass slippers aren’t great for walking.

Snow White: Whateverr! Just get here. [Sound of a phone hanging up]

Woodman: Snow White.

Snow White; Oh hey, you okay? You seem weird.

[Sound of a knife]

Snow White: (Scream) What are you doing? Your crazy!

Woodsman: I can’t do it. Snow White, Carmel wants you dead. She hired me to kill you so when Billy dies she’ll inherit the fortune, not you.

Snow White: Oh my god. Why is this happening to me?

Woodsman: Go, just go. Get out of town and don’t come back. I’ll run down to butchers and give her a sheep’s heart instead.

Snow White: Bye.

[We hear the sound of footsteps running]

[Fast paced tense music is playing]

[Music fades out, running stops]

Snow White: (Out of breath) At last, a house. [Knocking on the door] Hello.

[Sound of a door creaking]

Snow White: Hello?

Dopy: (Mumbles)

Snow White: What!?

Grumpy; OI! Get outta my house.

Snow White: No! wait, I can explain.

Bashful: Snow White? Are you snow white?

Snow White: How do you know who I am?

Bashful: Everybody knows who you are. You’re constantly in heat magazine.

Grumpy`; Oh, so you’re the girl that’s constantly out causing havoc.

Snow White: (embarrassed) Well…. I wouldn’t put it like that.

Bashful: What brings you down here?

Snow white; my evil step mum, she hired my best friend to try and kill me. Just so she can get my money. Can you believe it? And now I now where to go.

Grumpy: Aaaawh that’s to bad. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Dopy; (Mumbling)

Bashful: That’s an excellent idea dopey. Snow white, you can stay with us.

Snow white: Can I really? Thank you. Thank you so much.

Grumpy: Any funny business and your out don’t think we haven’t read about your wild ways.

Narrator: Meanwhile, over at the castle, the woodcutter is back at the queen’s castle.

Woodcutter: Your majesty, Snow Whites heart.

Queen: Excellent. Finally, I can live a life of luxury. Go! And don’t ever come back again.

Woodcutter: My pleasure.

[Footsteps]

Billy: What’s going on?

Woodcutter: I’m outta here.

[Footsteps running away]

Queen: Honey, it about snow white. I’m afraid she’s dead.

Billy: (Tearful) What!? No!

Queen: I know, it’s just terrible. There was an accident down in the field.

Billy: (sobbing)

Narrator: Well with the whole town in shock and thinking snow white is dead, the queen couldn’t be happier. Until 2 months later.

Queen: Oh what the hell. Mirror Mirror on the wall, who’s the richest of them all?

Mirror: Rich you may be, but Snow White is still richer than thee.

Queen: What! She’s dead. She can’t be alive. UUURGH that woodcutter double-crossed me. I’ll just kill her my self.

[Birds chirping, footsteps]

Snow White: Oh, it’s such a lovely day. You guys off out to go practice for your match?

Bashful: Yea, we need to get some practice. We have a match coming up.

Snow White; Ok, you go out and make me proud,

[Footsteps walking away]

Snow white: (Shouting) Bye! Footballer dwarfs, who have ever thought. Oh hello. Where did you come from?

Queen: (Raspy voice) Hello there precious, I have an apple for you.

Snow White: Oh I’m good thanks. I just ate,

Queen: (Raspy Voice) Take it. It’s so delicious.

Snow White: Well, if you insist. [Crunching sound] [Chocking sound, snow white falls to the floor]

Queen: Ahahahaha! Snow White. I’ve got you know.

Bashful: Snow White, hey! I forgot my… Oh my god. Snow White. What did you do? What did you do!?

Queen: Me? I didn’t do anything. I just stumbled across her.

Grumpy: bashful, hurry up. Oh my. Hey I know you, you’re the queen. The queen that wanted snow white dead.

Queen: Ahahahaha and now she’s gone. Finally, I can be the most wealthy women in the village.

Grumpy; No on our watch, you’ll pay for this.

Narrator: The dwarfs chase after the queen, hoping to catch up to her. She eventually runs to the end of a cliff, with the dwarfs surrounding her, How will she survive?

Grumpy: Your stuck now, you’re going to suffer, just like snow white did.

Queen: No! Please, I can change. I’m sorry.

[Big gust of wind]

Queen: AAAArgh, help me! I’m going to faaaaaaaall.

[The queen’s scream fades out as she falls of the cliff]

Narrator; All is not lost. A prince riding through the village stumbles across snow white. He see’s her, and gives her the kiss of life.

Snow White; (Coughing) Urgh, your breath stinks!

Prince charming Will you marry me? I’ve never met anybody as beautiful as you.

Snow White: Whateverr! Go away. I have the dwarfs.

[footsteps walking of into the distance]

Task 7: Casting Process

Task 7: When creating my radio drama, the first I had to do was put my cast together. I had to think about the type of characters I had in my script, and find people that where most like the characters. I had 7 characters to cast, therefore seven people to find that where most appropriate for the parts. I had to cast:

Superman – Hero. Imagined him to be energetic and charismatic. A very Loud, dramatic character.

Batman – Villain. I wanted him to have this sort of sarcastic streak to him. I had to look at people and ask them to read out the lines in a sarcastic manner. I feel that out of all the castings, this proved to be the most challenging.

Boss – authorotive type, had to sound stern and strict.

Louis Lane – Damsel. I wanted her to have a sense of vulnerability. I wanted somebody with a sweet sounding voice.

Rachel – helper, again I wanted her to be sweet, but contrast with Louis.

Old women- A bit of comic relief, when casting this part, I asked people if they could do a very nasal, upper register tone of voice.

Shopkeeper – Finding somebody who could do an Asian accent was difficult. At first I was a bit unsure about having him Asian, but I immediately found somebody who was perfect for the part, therefore I included him in.

Task 8: production schedule




task 9: Radio Drama

Task 10:Evaluation

My radio drama did promote violence, due to the fight scene between two of the characters. In terms of representation issues, I had used a typical stereotype of shopkeepers. By giving my shopkeeper character an Asian accent. To play homage to superman, I included the superman theme tune.

In terms of sound volume, I did have to constantly adjust the sound, due to the changing scenes, and different sound effects used. I had to be really careful that sound effects and music beds didn’t drown out the dialogue. I also had to do allot of editing, due to the lengthy dialogue and many errors made during the recording of the advertisement.

Radio drama included a hero, Villain and a damsel from Vladimir Propps theory. Todorov’s theory has also been used due to the narrative having an equilibrium, disruption and resolution. The narrative pattern was goal orientated, and single strand.

When I played the radio drama back to the audience the response was mainly positive. Many liked the humor and satirical style of the drama.

Eddie: ‘It’s good, its plays well to the typical comic book, superhero genre”

Claire: “ It’s a really funny piece, you’ve used the sound effects well”

From this, I learned how to write a script, and become a lot more aware of the different things you can do with garage band.




2 comments:

  1. There is no work here Kam. See Mr Jackson or myself to discuss this.

    Mr Burkinshaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still tasks missing Kam

    Pass
    P1 Description of codes and conventions used in different dramas evident. Ideas expressed with sufficient clarity to communicate them and with some appropriate subject terminology.

    P2 Proposal and treatment specific to genre and audience, with evidence of some appropriate conventions and some assistance.

    P3 Script produced in response to treatment with evidence of some appropriate conventions and some assistance.

    P4 Radio drama planned and produced within appropriate conventions and with some assistance.

    ReplyDelete